Use the “Observation” feature of the LMS to set up a checklist of “Free Entry,” “Multiple Choice,” and/or “Single Choice” questions to guide managers through an evaluation of a Team Member’s performance.
- Adding an Observation
- Adding Checklist Items
- Preview Observation Items
- Publishing an Observation
- Observation Tabs
- History Tab – View Past Versions
- References Tab – View Courses that Use the Observation
- Trigger Actions
- Observation Settings - Tags
Adding an Observation
1. Select “Observations” from the “LEARNING” menu. Then click the green “+Add Observation” option.
2. In the pop-up window, enter a “Title.”You will have the opportunity to change the title later if you need to. Then click “Add Observation.”
3. The top of the next screen shows “Details” about the Observation you’re working on. In this section, you can change the title as well as add a “Description” and “Tags.” You may also:
- Add the text that a Team Member will see when it’s time for their Observation and prompt them to let a Manager know they are ready.
- Specify the position of the person to notify that a Team Member is ready for an Observation.
Adding Checklist Items
1. Select “+Add Checklist Item” to start adding questions for Managers to use during an Observation.
2. In the pop-up window, enter the question in the “Text” field. From the drop-down select “Free Entry,” “Multiple Choice,” or “Single Choice.” Then select whether the question is required or not and click the green “Add Item” button.
1. Select “+Add Checklist Item” and in the pop-up select “Free Entry.”
2. To edit or add details to a Free Entry question, select it from the Checklist Items you’ve created.
3. In the pull-out window, change the question text if you need to. Click “Advanced Options” to add instruction text, change the requirement settings, or delete the item.
Use a Multiple-Choice question if there is more than one answer to the question.
1. Select “+Add Checklist Item” and in the pop-up select“Multiple Choice.”
2. To add answer options to the Multiple-Choice question, select it from the list of Checklist Items you’ve created.
3. In the pull-out window, you can change the question text if you need to. Click the Green "Add Option” button to begin adding answer options. Continue adding options until you are finished.
4. Click “Advanced” to add instruction text, change the requirement settings, or delete the question.
Use a Single Choice question if there is just one answer to the question.
1. Click “+Add Checklist Item.”
2. In the pop-up window, select “Single Choice.” If you created a Single Choice question for another Observation, your answer options might appear in the “Template” drop-down and you can select them there. If not, you will have an opportunity to add your options later.
3. To edit a Single Choice item or add new answer options, select it from the Checklist Items you’ve created.
4. In the pull-out window you can change the text if you need to. Click the green “+Add Option” button to begin adding possible answers. Continue adding options until you are finished.
5. Click “Advanced Options” to add instruction text, change the requirement settings, or delete the question.
Preview Observation Items
Click the Edit/Publish button at the top right and select “Preview” from the drop-down to see what the Observation items will look like.
Publishing an Observation
Woven automatically saves the Observation you are working on as “Draft – V1.” Once you have finalized the Observation, make sure to click “Publish” at the top right. This allows you to add the Observation to a Course. The published Observation will be saved as “Published – V1.”
1. You cannot edit an Observation once you’ve published it. If you need to make changes, click “Edit” at the top right.
2. In the pull-out window, select “Make a minor update on this version” if you only need to make a grammar or spelling change. The Observation name will remain “Published – V1.”
3. Select “Create new version” if you need to make major content changes. Note that if you do this, the Assessment will no longer be published. The new version will be called “Draft – V2.”
When you open an Observation, you will notice three tabs next to the “General” tab: “History,” “References,” and “Trigger Actions.”
History Tab – View Past Versions
Open the History tab to see a list of all versions of an Observation, along with the “Status” (Draft, Published, Previous) and publication date. Click the name of a version to preview it.
References Tab – View Courses that Use the Observation
Select the “References” tab. You will see all the Courses that the Observation you currently have open is used in as well as with the “Status” (Draft, Previous, Published) and “Version" number.
Individual accounts can click the “Trigger Actions” tab to set up triggers for their account. With the tab open, select the green “+Trigger Actions” option. In the pop-up, you can trigger a notification to a specific manager, trigger an enrollment in a course that you choose, or set a trigger for someone of a certain proficiency level.
Observation Settings - Tags
1. Go to LEARNING >> Observations and select “Settings” at the top.
2. You will see a list of all your “Tags.” Click “+Add Tag” or “Bulk Add” to add new Tags.
3. When you click “+Add Tag,” the tag will appear as “New Tag” in the list. Click in the “New Tag” field to add a new tag name.